The prime responsibility of Blue Planet Shipping Limited is to provide safe and healthy working conditions while maintaining a safe and pollution-free operating practice that complies with national as well as international regulations and relevant standards and guidelines.
For the protection of our people, environment and business we are committed to the continuing improvement of our safety and pollution activities.
In order to achieve this objective, our Company:
- Provides for safe practices in ship operation and a safe working environment.
- Assesses all identified risks to our vessels, personnel and the environment, establishing appropriate safeguards.
- Continuously improves the safety management skills of personnel ashore and aboard ship, including preparing for emergencies related both to safety and environmental protection.
We will ensure that the necessary resources are made available and, in order to confirm that our objectives are being met, we will:
- Maintain high standards of safety consciousness, personal discipline and individual accountability.
- Actively promote employee participation in measures aimed towards safety improvement and environmental protection.
- Always ensure adherence to the documented operating procedures by monitoring and inspecting our ships and reviewing and reporting on safety and pollution prevention performance.
DrugsIn the interest of promoting a healthy working environment and in view of the harmful effects of drugs both directly on the health of the abuser and indirectly on the operation of the vessel, through the abuser’s consequent inability to carry out his duties safely, any incidence of drug abuse and/or possession on board will result in instant dismissal of the person or persons concerned.
Misuse of legitimate drugs or the use, possession, distribution or sale of illicit or unprescribed controlled drugs on board will also result in the instant dismissal of the person or persons concerned.
Personnel will be screened for drug abuse at the time of their employment and subsequently at random intervals in order to ensure a substance-free environment.
AlcoholWhile at sea, no member of the crew may ever be under the effects of alcohol to the extent that they are unable to function effectively in an emergency situation even when not on watch.
Blood alcohol content of 40mg/100ml or greater is considered as alcohol impairment. All shipboard personnel must totally abstain from alcohol for at least 4 hours prior to any period of scheduled responsibilities or work periods, including i.e. watch keeping duties, scheduled repairs, maintenance, food preparation etc.
No person should be allowed on board when alcohol impaired.
In US waters, no use of alcohol is permissible.
We are committed to employee onboarding and retention. Through the integrated use of training, organization and career development efforts we aim to improve our organizational effectiveness, by developing the key strengths of each individual and ensuring that we are able, at all times, to manage changes and be at the forefront of developments within our industry.
Our Company is strongly committed to preserving the marine environment and we place the highest importance on building our business in a sustainable and environmentally conscious manner. This culture is embedded throughout our organization and we are constantly monitoring and improving our overall environmental performance.
Blue Planet Shipping is also a founding member of the Thalassa Foundation, a non-profit organisation committed to promoting the conservation and sustainability of the marine environment. Thalassa is currently engaged in the protection and preservation of one of the largest marine parks in Europe, located in the Northern Sporades Islands in Greece.